The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Riddles (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4827)

lumberjim 01-21-2004 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by That Guy
"Please enter, my dear Aunt Sally."

Remember your order of operations.

not familiar with this.....what does it relate to?

novice 01-21-2004 09:21 AM

A person is found hanged in a room with no ingress or egress points other than a door, locked from the inside. There is nothing in the room except for a puddle of liquid under the corpse,
Murder or suicide? What happened?

Kitsune 01-21-2004 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by novice
A person is found hanged in a room with no ingress or egress points other than a door, locked from the inside. There is nothing in the room except for a puddle of liquid under the corpse,
Murder or suicide? What happened?

Suicide, but I'll let someone else figure out why. :D

Beestie 01-21-2004 09:22 AM

vsp nailed it but I had already put this together so I'll post it anyway and thank lumberjim for clearly demonstrating why none of us has a chance in hell once we set foot into the finance manager's office :)

I'll start with a ledger (i.e., something they keep two of in car dealerships :-). Also, I'll make a simplifying assumption and think of the three brothers as one customer. The way the question is worded implies that the person asking is tallying up the dollars and is one short. Everyone's net position is shown before and after each transaction. At any point, the two sides of the ledger when added, must equal zero.

Customer -30, Bellhop ±0 || Hotel +30 (Initial transaction)
Customer_ +3, Bellhop +2 || Hotel_ -5 (The refund)
--------------------------------------------------------
Customer -27, Bellhop +2 || Hotel +25 (The end result)

vsp's answer is now clear - the sign on the 2 and the 27 are not the same so the "29" never existed anywhere but in the question.

lumberjim 01-21-2004 09:24 AM

it's urine. suicide.

novice 01-21-2004 09:27 AM

It most assuredly is not urine!

lumberjim 01-21-2004 09:30 AM

why not? if you kill yourself, you lose control of your bowels, you'd pee, there would be a puddle.

novice 01-21-2004 09:33 AM

Fuck shit damn piss hell quite right, but wrong, for the purposes of THIS riddle

novice 01-21-2004 09:34 AM

incidentally, wasn't that Indigo Montoya?

lumberjim 01-21-2004 09:40 AM

yeah, but as dave so eloquently pointed out, it's actually "inyego"

i love the princess bride...right up there with the holy grail in it's quotablility

SteveDallas 01-21-2004 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by novice
Close call steve.
based on the info it's impossible to rule either right or wrong IMHO

Yeah if the question had said "dead apparently due to having slammed into the ground at high speed" the parachute would look like a better answer!

As for the urine/suicide issue, wouldn't the bladder release issue be equally true if somebody else hanged you?

novice 01-21-2004 09:46 AM

I'm shithouse as far as literal quotes go but I remember many of the scenes, in particular the poisoned goblet switcheroo. Definitely a classic. Had it in my hand at the video store two nights ago but it's so memorable I don't need to watch it again yet.
Incidentally, riddle wise, the liquid was water. The person stood on a block of ice to get in the noose then 'melted' to death.

SteveDallas 01-21-2004 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by lumberjim

not familiar with this.....what does it relate to?

I'm surprised... all that math you do at work... tho I guess they have computers to handle all the heavy lifting!

My Dear Aunt Sally
Multiplication Division Addition Subtraction

This is the order in which you perform math operations in a situation where you have mixed operations and no parentheses to group things. (So 3 + 4 x 7 is always evaluated as 31, not 49.)

But I don't know what P and E are for... I guess P is Parentheses?

lumberjim 01-21-2004 09:47 AM

yeah, but the door is locked from the inside.

ok, if it;s not pee, then i give. what is it?

novice 01-21-2004 09:51 AM

It's a big puddle of REFRESH