The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Current Events (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What's more current than the weather? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=7861)

Gravdigr 06-29-2012 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Satan called, he said to turn up the A/C.

Attachment 39318

Gravdigr 06-29-2012 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was less than 10 minutes earlier:

Attachment 39319

ZenGum 06-29-2012 11:53 PM

uggghhhh. What is the humidity?

orthodoc 06-30-2012 08:30 AM

Still no power here 12 hours after a crazy, spectacular T-storm. Was at a welcome party for new staff and the wind tossed all the tables and tents around like confetti. Now my electronics are all low on battery ... nooooo

Starbucks time. IF Starbucks has power ... :rolleyes:

orthodoc 06-30-2012 09:52 AM

So much for Starbucks. Going to be 100 today and we've been warned we're likely to run out of tap water. Filling water containers, gonna be checking up on neighbors in this building full of seniors. And dragging my wind-up radio out of storage! Knew it'd come in handy one day ...

orthodoc 06-30-2012 09:55 AM

To clarify ... my building isn't entirely full of seniors, because I'm here. And hopefully a few other non-senior types. :p:

zippyt 06-30-2012 11:24 AM

Could be worse Doc ,
This could be your weather

orthodoc 06-30-2012 12:25 PM

:lol2: bring it .... especially Godzilla on Wednesday. He'll get everyone over the hump!

Gravdigr 06-30-2012 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 817855)
uggghhhh. What is the humidity?

RFN:

Attachment 39346

glatt 06-30-2012 05:06 PM

That storm last night. Holy shit! Worst storm I've been in. My boy was still at camp when it hit there. It blew a couple logs off the final evening bonfire and into the woods. Staff put it out, and my kid and 300 other people spent the night in the dining hall. There's still no power and my phone is just now finally connecting to the internet. At least it's only 95 today and not 105.

DanaC 06-30-2012 05:34 PM

Brighouse gala was rained off. We were on our way over with Soph whose cheerleading squad were doing a display in the gala, when the rain turned heavy again and she got a phone call to say the rest of the gala had been cancelled.

Earlier in the afternoon, it had been glorious sunshine, then total downpour then glorious sunshione again before going back to total downpour.

Diverted off to the tunnel field with carrot and Ruby and let them have a run about. Got totally and completely drenched, for the fourth time today.

We've been relatively unscathed here in Northowram and Stump Cross, but Briggers, Heb and Elland have all flooded badly.

Hail storms with with hail big enough to smash car windows the other day, and then the River Calder broke its banks and flooded several towns that run along its path. We've had a couple of deaths. Including one guy who had to abandon his car and then was killed trying to get to safety.

Just saw on the news that during the worst of it, Gateshead up in Northumberland, which has also been hit by bad floods, got a month's worth of rain in 2 hours.

orthodoc 06-30-2012 05:42 PM

I heard VA/DC got hit hardest, although there was a confirmed tornado in OH. Some areas there may not get power back until July 7. :eek:

Still no power here. But as long as there's running water I'm a happy camper (sorry, Glatt! But I bet the boys had a good time, right?)!

Lamplighter 06-30-2012 07:43 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The "Waldo Fire" west of Colorado Springs, CO is being called
the most destructive fire in the state's history, with loss of > 340 homes.

This is the "heat periphery" of the fire at about 6 pm MST today.

Attachment 39349
The pic below is simply the Google map of approx the same area.

Attachment 39350

For those interested in such wildfires, here is a link to
the Incident Information System that gives up to date information on US fires.

orthodoc 06-30-2012 08:00 PM

Oh, no. I've been following the High Park fire west of Fort Collins - my daughter is out there - but hadn't heard about the Waldo Canyon fire. 32,000 evacuated already.

Thanks for the link, Lamplighter. It's a definite bookmark.

On a happier note: power's back on! Hooray!:jig:

infinite monkey 06-30-2012 09:40 PM

There are so many, millions without power. I was lucky, power back on around 7 last night, just a few hours out. I was at work as it hit my area. Got caught in a torrential downpour as it hit my woork as I was heading out. Mom and dad power out for a day. This was a biggie. I hope our eastern dwellars are ok. Thinking about you all. Check in, ok?