The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Anyone being affected by Proposition 8? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=18704)

Spexxvet 02-08-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamplighter (Post 793804)
...reversed polygamy where those 40 women have multiple husbands.
Don't laugh, supposedly the latter happened in isolated Eskimo families

I can see where this is unlikely in a society where men hold all the wealth and power. While I believe that, in our society, most wealth and power remains with men, the emergence of "cougars" may indicate that multiple husbands for women is not such a stretch these days.

infinite monkey 02-08-2012 12:09 PM

All bathrooms will be outfitted with yellow carpeting.

Clodfobble 02-08-2012 12:56 PM

I think in a culture of modern women such as we live in today, the risk of voluntary polygamy suddenly taking a significant hold in society is low. If polygamy were made legal today, I don't see much changing.

The real risk, in my mind, is abusing the polygamist "marriage contract" for corporate business means. Say a group of men want to form a company, but they want, for example, not to have to testify against each other if the company is ever sued, just as a wife has the right not to have to testify against her husband. So they all polygamist gay marry each other on paper.

I think you could successfully allow for gay marriage, while still outlawing polygamy on the argument that it would promote conspiracy and fraud.

Spexxvet 02-08-2012 12:59 PM

Gay polygamy! The old boy network on steroids.

glatt 02-08-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 793817)
The real risk, in my mind, is abusing the polygamist "marriage contract" for corporate business means.

Interesting! That hadn't occurred to me.

ZenGum 02-08-2012 06:55 PM

Well, abolish the right of a spouse to not testify against their spouse(s). That is an old fashioned and sexist rule anyway.

Happy Monkey 02-08-2012 07:12 PM

Sexist how? It's a two-way street.

ZenGum 02-08-2012 07:26 PM

It is now, but when it was introduced it was with the idea that the man would be doing everything and the woman merely an assistant at best.

richlevy 02-08-2012 07:42 PM

Found this on Facebook. One of the arguments against polygamy is that some families ended up on public assistance. In a modern economy, it's not as easy to have a homebound labor pool as it is on a farm.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...13942464_n.jpg

Happy Monkey 02-08-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZenGum (Post 793929)
It is now, but when it was introduced it was with the idea that the man would be doing everything and the woman merely an assistant at best.

I'm not sure how that is relevant to spousal priviledge. It's about who can be called to testify, and by whom; not about the extent of their involvement in the crime.

It's there to avoid putting someone in the position of having to choose between condemning their spouse and perjuring themselves.

Lamplighter 02-08-2012 10:59 PM

Another state steps up in the district of the 9th Federal Court of Appeals

Reuters
Nicole Neroulias
2/8/12
Gay marriage wins final legislative approval in Washington state
Quote:

(Reuters) - A bill to legalize gay marriage in Washington state won final legislative approval
on Wednesday in a largely party-line vote that moved the state to the cusp of becoming the seventh
in the nation to recognize same-sex nuptials.

Washington's Democratic Governor Christine Gregoire said she looked forward to signing the measure
and "putting into law an end to an era of discrimination" even as opponents,
led by religious conservatives, vowed to seek its repeal at the polls in November.

ZenGum 02-08-2012 11:49 PM

HM ...

Okay. drop the sexist. Maybe even the outdated.

I think it is wrong. Why is there no parental priviledge? Sibling? Avuncular? Why should someone get away with a crime just because the main witness is their spouse?

Happy Monkey 02-09-2012 11:01 AM

I won't argue that. Probably something to do with "the sanctity of marriage".

Though my guess is there's a de facto family priviledge to some extent, as the danger of perjury, and the potential bad taste left in jurors mouths from forcing a parent to testify, may discourage prosecutors from doing so in many cases.

glatt 02-09-2012 11:23 AM

The spousal privilege only applies if both the defendant and their spouse want to keep the secret. If a wife wants to testify against her husband, she can, and there is nothing the husband can do to prevent it. Compare that to the privilege between an attorney and their client. The attorney can virtually never testify against their client, even if they want to.

BigV 02-09-2012 01:08 PM

meaning they can't be *compelled* to testify against their spouse.