The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Sports (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   It's football time again... (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=3915)

Chewbaccus 01-22-2004 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Undertoad
There were no fights during the fourth quarter because the fans were suddenly entertained.
So what are you saying, Tony? Unless the Eagles own on every play, Philadelphians in attendence revert to a default Lord of the Flies mentality? In light of this hypothesis, the flare gun almost sounds like a desperate effort to refocus the attention of the crowd in only the way flying sparkly things can.

I mean, I thought Pittsburgh fans were horrific, but at least they have enough control to up and leave the stadium when whomever on the field turns to shit. You realize that? You are now worse than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh.

Way to be, Philly.

SteveDallas 01-22-2004 01:53 PM

bad promotion idea

I've gotta think this isn't the best time to mail out solicitations for the Philadelphia Eagles Visa Card.

But I saw several of them sitting in our mail room just now!

vsp 01-22-2004 02:14 PM

Read the fine print carefully. There may be a clause signing card applicants up to play wide receiver next year.

elSicomoro 01-22-2004 05:37 PM

Tony, please tell me that you are not trying to make excuses for the fans.

Brenda Warner...I worry about her...

IIRC, there is no more Eagles Court...I don't think it was brought over to the Linc. From what I've seen and heard, things seemed better this year in terms of rowdy fans. I would think that higher ticket prices and PSLs helped with that. But you're still going to have a few fucking idiots in the mix.

There are certainly bad football fans in other cities...Cleveland and New Orleans come to mind. But you tend to hear about Philadelphia fans the most--even before I moved here.

In St. Louis, when there is poor play, some fans just tend to get apathetic. When the football Cardinals decided to leave town in '88, in the end, I don't think many people cared. The team has a legacy of sucking ass...and it's not like the move to the desert has helped them much.

I think the biggest problem St. Louis ever had fan-wise was in the late 90s during a baseball Cardinals game. Mark McGwire got thrown out of a game...why I don't know...and the fans responded by throwing cups and what not on the field at Busch Stadium. Highly unusual...I hadn't seen anything like it before and haven't since.

lumberjim 02-02-2004 09:19 AM

happy now, chewy?

ladysycamore 02-02-2004 10:35 AM

All I know is that if the Vet was still in business, I would never in the name of all that is holy, go to ANY football game. Why the hell would I subject myself to possible harrassment if I decided to wear the opposing teams colors? I have every right to do so without fear of getting jacked up. :mad:

wolf 02-02-2004 12:15 PM

The "Beat the shit out of the dude in opposing team colors or who cheers for the wrong team" tradition has transferred to the Linc, totally intact.

ladysycamore 02-02-2004 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wolf
The "Beat the shit out of the dude in opposing team colors or who cheers for the wrong team" tradition has transferred to the Linc, totally intact.
No, say it ain't so!!! I thought the riff raff would be outpriced, at least. Damn....:( And they want people to bring their children to sporting events...ha, they must be mad!

wolf 02-03-2004 12:45 AM

It's so.

Friend of mine works the medical aid station for every game. (His brother runs the ambulance company that has the contract for all the major sporting and entertainment events in Philadelphia.)

Hasan21 03-02-2004 08:32 AM

Do you know who bought Chelsi?

Griff 03-02-2004 12:16 PM

Roman Abramovich

Hasan21 03-02-2004 08:52 PM

What do you think about Abramovich and Chelsi. It's Good or bad.

Undertoad 03-02-2004 08:57 PM

A rural American and a rural Russian talking Premier League English football?

I love this world!

Griff 03-03-2004 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Hasan21
What do you think about Abramovich and Chelsi. It's Good or bad.
I don't know what the folks in Chelsea think of it but I like the idea of these international business/personal connections. They subvert nationalism and create opportunity. How'd Abramovich make his money? It'd be a bummer if this was part of a money laundering scheme.

Quote:

Toadster said A rural American and a rural Russian talking Premier League English football?
On the internet, everybodies an expert. :) I didn't know if anyone with real knowlege would catch the reference.