The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Random Thoughts (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=29481)

Lamplighter 05-29-2015 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 929626)
It's important to know what options your car has....

I did read the "...cringe inducing..." warning, but that shocked me
so much I actually knee-jerked out of the path of the car.

"Idiot of the Day" popped into my mind.

glatt 05-29-2015 12:42 PM

Who, the guy standing there with his hands in his pockets getting hit by the car, or the driver hitting him?

Lamplighter 05-29-2015 01:29 PM

OK, let's change that to:

"Idiots of the Day" popped into my mind.

Gravdigr 06-05-2015 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 51938

BigV 06-06-2015 11:57 AM

Quote:

George Carlin — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'
Quote:

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.'
Quote:

Proverbs 18:2 ESV — 'A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.'

limey 06-06-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 929631)
I'm filling in an application for a teaching job - J sent me a link to the vacancy yesterday - closing date is Monday midday.

I fucking hate these kinds of applications. It's the kind where you have to go through each of the person specifications (there are fucking loads of them) and give examples of how you have met those in previous employment. And then having effectively exhausted most of what i can say about how my experience is relevant to the job - I am then expected to write up a personal statement.

I hate that shit, too. Treat it as a language exercise, pick three items you've already mentioned at random and phrase them differently.

Sent by thought transference

Gravdigr 06-06-2015 12:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:
George Carlin — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Quote:
Mark Twain — 'Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.'

Quote:
Proverbs 18:2 ESV — 'A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.'

"You've done nothing when you've bested a fool."

~La Boeuf (Glen Campbell) in "True Grit"

monster 06-08-2015 11:08 PM

apparently I have to be up in 3 hours. This time not for work -to fetch my daughter from the graduate all night party. Then I have to go to work. Oh well. at least I'm not visiting her in prison. yet

classicman 06-09-2015 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
yup ...

infinite monkey 06-13-2015 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 930649)
yup ...

Ha! I often say I'm the worst person of me and my siblings but I'm not in prison or anything. Yet. ;)

Anyway, I came here to say 'jesus mother of god I attract freaks!'

it 06-16-2015 04:27 AM

Does orphan black pass the Bechdel test for having all it's main interaction between women or does it fail on the technical requirement of what exactly counts as "two women"? :neutral:

DanaC 06-16-2015 04:42 AM

hahahahahaha. That's a truly excellent question, Trace :P

DanaC 06-16-2015 04:44 AM

Tell you what show totally passes the Bechdel test - Person of Interest. Not bad for a genre/procedural crime show.

it 06-16-2015 05:51 AM

Haven't seen it - I might give it a shot.

Currently starting with Orange is the new black, which... So far would probably not pass a reverse Batchdel test, but the main character is a mid 30s bisexual convict / aromatic soap entrepreneur / drug dealer with a thing for Jews, so all is forgiven as long as I can date her in my head... Which is also now making me wonder if that is the perspective women get when watching so much media where the main identifiable characters are male, or alternatively, when getting married to death row inmates... *head scratching*

...Also, why don't we have a head scratching emoji?

DanaC 06-16-2015 06:19 AM

I should say it only really starts to pass the test properly by third season - at which point the core team is about a 50/50 male female split - and the women talk with each other often and not about the guys.