The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Funny images that aren't quite WTF images (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=19373)

Gravdigr 12-01-2016 12:46 PM

Been a while since I saw that pic.

fargon 12-09-2016 04:44 PM

WHS^

burns334 12-10-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtown (Post 974180)
Albuquerque, though I don't think this is the exact same intersection:
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1485...7i13312!8i6656

gtown, great find, trust me I looked for awhile. I to am sure it is same intersection but how did you ever find the cross street ie Academy?

gtown 12-13-2016 01:02 AM

Definitely some luck. The arrow made me think Moon must have sidestepped or restarted somewhere since it was helping people re-find it. I looked for cases on the street map where that happened going south (since the pic is facing east towards the mountains). Tried a few and found Moon St on the signs but then found this with just Moon.

elSicomoro 12-15-2016 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
MacBook Pro: Cats love them

xoxoxoBruce 12-25-2016 01:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In charge...

Gravdigr 12-25-2016 02:13 PM

Damn straight.

classicman 12-28-2016 10:21 AM

I thought perhaps it was a new version of "Here, hold my beer ..."

Pico and ME 12-30-2016 07:43 PM

I would do that if I lived out there. It would look hilarious, but I'd much rather be pragmatic about it all.

Gravdigr 01-08-2017 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 59069

Clodfobble 01-09-2017 12:29 PM

I have a friend at a game company that is about to start on their first serious offering in VR. He says one guy at the office has already officially declined to work on it (he didn't quit, he just put in a request to be on a different project and the company said sure.) The coworker's explanation was that there have already been many reports from people who have used the headsets that, after only a few hours with it on their face, they have genuine difficulty re-integrating back into the real world. Like, they can't quite walk right, or coordinate tasks with their hands, and they have the specific psychological sensation that this world is not real.

Obviously some people are going to be less susceptible than others, but I think these things are going to fuck people up, big time.

footfootfoot 01-09-2017 12:49 PM

You don't think people are already fucked up big time? I mean by their technology.

There are countless TED talks about how people are beginning to lose the ability to socialize, create a sense of community, or bond with friends and loved ones, of people ignoring the people they are with in favor of their devices (including ostensible caretakers of children), texting WHEN YOU SHOULD BE DRIVING YOUR FUCKING CAR and so on.

Unless you just forgot to include the words 'also and 'continue' in "but I think these things are also going to continue to fuck people up, big time."

Gravdigr 01-09-2017 03:27 PM

Sometimes, if the print is particularly tiny, I use reading glasses (magnifiers). After reading for a couple hours with those glasses, I find that it takes a little while to see 'normally' again. I can't focus on things across the room.

I imagine a screen that close to one's face would have a similar effect.

Undertoad 01-14-2017 09:05 AM

Late to this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 979022)
You don't think people are already fucked up big time? I mean by their technology.

There are countless TED talks about how people are beginning to lose the ability to socialize, create a sense of community, or bond with friends and loved ones,

Yeah we just gave $2000 to a charity in remembrance of our friend and loved one who died. You can't do that on the Internet. There's no community, no bonding.

~

The TED talks on the Internet? I should take some time out of my real-life socializing and bonding with friends to watch one of those.

~

So I AM fucked up big time by technology for the last 32 years. Or saved by it. I can't remember which.

classicman 01-14-2017 09:08 AM

... both!