The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's mildly irritating you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=16569)

morethanpretty 06-10-2009 12:25 AM

men who can't take a hint...oh well their loss, eh?

Pie 06-10-2009 07:32 AM

The weather. Hot, humid and thunderstormy.

capnhowdy 06-10-2009 07:39 AM

Lucky you don't have to tolerate the weather in Ga., Pie.

Pie 06-10-2009 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy (Post 572383)

I know, I know. I'm a defective Indian -- I hate hot weather and don't like rice. That's why they kicked me out. ;)

TheMercenary 06-10-2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capnhowdy (Post 572383)

Tolerate! Dude I wouldn't change this weather for anything. Those who own snow shovels need not apply.

DanaC 06-10-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 572388)
I know, I know. I'm a defective Indian -- I hate hot weather and don't like rice. That's why they kicked me out. ;)

My dad was born in India. I'd love to see his home town, but the climate wuld kill me off:P I am also not right fond of rice.

SteveDallas 06-10-2009 11:08 AM

My nephew managed to crack the screen in his laptop. (It survived two tours in Iraq before this, so I guess he got his money's worth out of it.) As I noted in other threads, my parents came up to visit the weekend before last. It had been arranged that they would buy a new LCD screen for it ($90) and bring it and the laptop along, and I would install it.

When I started installing it, I discovered that the hinge on one side was loose--my dad had known this, but I had not been aware of it. As it happened, the hinge assembly on that side had broken, and the one piece was being held sort of in place just by the case. When I pried the case open to remove the damaged LCD, the broken hinge piece popped completely loose.

If we had been on top of this problem, we could have gotten replacement hinges and installed them at the same time as the LCD. Now my dad is going to make the attempt so he can take the laptop back to my nephew when they visit him this weekend. And I, of course, will provide remote advice from 500 miles. (He did watch me do the LCD, so that will help.)

Sundae 06-10-2009 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie (Post 572388)
I know, I know. I'm a defective Indian... and don't like rice. That's why they kicked me out. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 572436)
... I am also not right fond of rice.

I loved moving to Leicester and realising that the sub-continent was not all about rice. Bread, bread, and more bread. Bread, which as bread lover I never knew existed! Cholla, yeah, brioche, done it. But Indian people don't all eat naan or chapati? Dosa, paratha, roti, bhaturi... Oh bread heaven.

(And different types of noodles - never had any Chinese bread though - where's Billy?!)

And visiting Sri Lanka and experiencing the different climates in the hill country, which I know are duplicated in the (to me) unimaginably huge) vista of India.

Sorry bout your nephew's laptop, Sleeve :(

Madman 06-10-2009 02:32 PM

Plumbers that connect the water line that goes to the ice maker under the floor of the kitchen instead of under the kitchen sink - then they spring a leak.

Garage door openers that fall apart - literally.

Dogs that puke on that new rug that is laying next to the open door.

Getting a bill in the mail that has three more zeros on it than expected (it was a computer glitch).

Getting called by the furniture store and they tell you your bookcases are in. So you drive across town to get them and they tell you there has been a mistake; they're really not in.

DanaC 06-10-2009 02:36 PM

Oh parathas and roti! There's a Roti house in the Asian part of town. *sighs * wonderful stuff.

My gran made the most amazing parathas. Mum makes them too. I never could get the hang of them. Chapatis i'm fine on (the world's easiest bread to make) and used to all but live on them for a while during my teens. I eat naans and chapatis far more often than I eat risen bread.

Actually, when I said I don't like rice, i was wrong. I don't really like plain boiled rice. I quite like a small portion of pilau (pilaf) rice; and egg fried rice I love.

glatt 06-10-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman (Post 572524)
then they spring a leak.

Ice makers are known for two things. Making ice, and springing leaks. I'm amazed that they don't come standard with drip pans and leak alarms.

SteveDallas 06-10-2009 03:22 PM

At lunch last weekend, after listening to three people swap icemaker horror stories, I said, "I'm not sure I want to get a fridge with an icemaker. All I ever hear is people complaining about how often they have some kind of trouble and how hard they are to fix." The reply, in unison, "Oh, no, get one, they're great... you'll love it!!!!"

Shawnee123 06-10-2009 03:31 PM

EARTHLINGS SUCK

capnhowdy 06-10-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 572562)
EARTHLINGS SUCK

I agree. I'm going back home.:eek:

ZenGum 06-10-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madman (Post 572524)
Plumbers that connect the water line that goes to the ice maker under the floor of the kitchen instead of under the kitchen sink - then they spring a leak.

Garage door openers that fall apart - literally.

Dogs that puke on that new rug that is laying next to the open door.

Getting a bill in the mail that has three more zeros on it than expected (it was a computer glitch).

Getting called by the furniture store and they tell you your bookcases are in. So you drive across town to get them and they tell you there has been a mistake; they're really not in.

* makes madman a nice cup of tea/ beveridge of your choice *

Ahh, just one of those days.