The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Home Base (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   wolf Goes to Rehab (WAS: Tales from the New Nuthouse) (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=27154)

wolf 07-14-2013 11:29 AM

Psychstudent had her first weekend alone. To say it didn't go well would be an understatement. She apparently called the police twice, once because a patient spoke harshly to her. She was standing in front of the bed board (handwritten whiteboard of all the patients in the facility) and crying. She will henceforth be known as "fragilegirl."

Fragilegirl is fragile.

Fragilegirl quit with no notice. Who the hell leaves a full time prodessional job with no notice? Oh yeah. Crazy people.

Security guard asked about her yesterday. When told he said, "I didnt expect her to last. I seen her over in the gym with the rehabbers, and they're, like, good you know, and she was scared of them. She ain't like wolf, for sure."

wolf 07-14-2013 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
An altercation over staff food in the "patient food" fridge nearly came to fisticuffs. Imagine, if you will, the ire of an African American man in his 50s when the old white lady receptionist throws his tub of watermelon onto the ground with enough force that it opens and spills.

He somehow managed not to hit her.

But the next day we got a memo about no staff food in the patient food fridge. 1. We rarely used it. 2. We only used the shelf that is too short to squeeze lunchbags into. This is totally a power and control game on the part of the receptionist.

so I solved the problem

Griff 07-14-2013 12:10 PM

Where's the body?

wolf 07-14-2013 01:06 PM

So, I walk into bossdude's office and he says, "Are you packing."

"Not today."

"I have a problem I need to solve."

"Let me know if you need it dealt with quietly and from a distance."

"I will."

I do not know why this happened. As far as the office knows, I all about Hello Kitty, Origami Christmas decorations, and a sometimes quirky approach to life.

sexobon 07-14-2013 02:17 PM

I find that exchange disconcerting. As a rule of thumb, I don't tell anyone whether or not I'm carrying even when asked. You'll get more information about why they're asking with the reply "And if I am?"

The issue is that even friendlies who know you're carrying can compromise you by announcing it to intimidate someone; or, blurt it out in a panic situation like "Wolf, use your gun!" It can happen even when you know the timing isn't right due to the tactical situation, spectrum of force continuum criteria, or both.

Unless your boss has the lawful authority to order you to shoot someone, you're better off making him demonstrate a need to know by having him give a rationale for his question up front. It will give you some warning about potentially being put in a bad situation. That your boss would put you on the spot with his unqualified question in an indicator.

wolf 07-14-2013 05:21 PM

The real question is how did he know to ask.

sexobon 07-14-2013 06:12 PM

Your consent to a routine pre-employment background check probably opened the door to the concealed carry permit registry (at least for inquiries submitted by healthcare facilities, schools, government offices ... etc.). You could check with whichever agency maintains that registry about releases. Your employer may conduct more comprehensive screening than most.

wolf 07-15-2013 12:51 AM

They check criminal history, child abuse, and drug screen. Nothing else.

sexobon 07-15-2013 01:58 AM

Then either he knows someone who can provide that information about you, noticed that you're carrying; or, suckered you into revealing your status. Let's hope it's neither of the latter two.

It would be prudent to contact your personal and professional references to rule out those possible sources before asking him how he came into that knowledge.

ZenGum 07-15-2013 01:59 AM

That is genuinely disturbing in several ways. I'm sure you will be covering yourself in every sense of the word.

Griff 07-15-2013 05:32 AM

He probably knows people in the first responder community who know you... unless this information came from the previous nuthouse? Have you googled yourself lately?

wolf 07-15-2013 09:47 AM

The old nuthouse could have mentioned something, or it could have been an assumption on his part based on my end of the world readiness.

I did not, at any point, assume he was asking me to really solve his problem ... he's quite the joker.

BigV 07-18-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexobon (Post 870307)
Your consent to a routine pre-employment background check probably opened the door to the concealed carry permit registry (at least for inquiries submitted by healthcare facilities, schools, government offices ... etc.). You could check with whichever agency maintains that registry about releases. Your employer may conduct more comprehensive screening than most.

Isn't this "registry" ALREADY publicly available?

I seem to remember quite the kerfuffle recently when an investigative journalist reported the names and addresses mashed up with googlemaps of all the registered gun owners in a particular geographic area.

xoxoxoBruce 07-18-2013 09:15 PM

No, a lot of states can't by law, or choose not to, divulge the names and addresses of concealed carry permit holders.

wolf 07-20-2013 01:11 AM

So, it wasn't about me. It was about psychokillergirlfriend. She was talking about carrying when going to her other job, which is in a notoriously dangerous area ... in another state that I usually refer to as a small communist country that borders Pennsylvania ... you know, the one that charges a ransom to leave? She also mentioned carrying a stun gun ... takes a breath and goes on to discuss flying back to her home state to see her shrink. bossdude was ear hustling the conversation. I had my back to him so I didn't see the look on his face, which was reportedly priceless.

So it's not about me for a change.

Rumor has it that he is doing something about the issue after he comes back from vacation. Don't know is it is going to involve anything more than a strongly worded memo.