The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Arts & Entertainment (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Books you're currently reading??? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=4348)

perth 06-04-2004 02:14 PM

Oh, I appreciate you pointing it out. I hate spelling errors as well, especially when I'm the one making them.

Crimson Ghost 06-06-2004 03:04 AM

Spelling errors are one thing, but at least you didn't have a camera crew there to catch you mis-spelling "potato" to an 8-year-old.

Rumor has it that the Secret Service had standing orders "If Bush dies in office, kill Quale."

Just a rumor.........

maybe.........

wolf 09-24-2004 10:56 PM

After the Ecstasy, the Laundry.

Very interesting book, with an awesomely funny title.

Perhaps Tomas Rueda should read this one to help cope with his OOBE.

busterb 09-27-2004 01:35 PM

Redemption by Leon Uris. Not a bad read.

Griff 09-27-2004 06:15 PM

Uris can tell a story, but it's been a while since I've read him. Maybe I'll pick one up.

I'm reading Stephenson's Zodiac right now. Its remarkably different than crypto but still makes science readable. Very Cool.

wolf 09-27-2004 07:38 PM

Also just finished Bill O'Reilly's "Who's Looking Out For You."

Quick read, but a lot of sensible stuff in there.

busterb 09-27-2004 07:47 PM

? Bill O' LIely :-)

marichiko 09-27-2004 08:02 PM

Just finished re-reading Songlines by Bruce Chatwin. *Pats self on back* I used to be one of those people who read several books at once and polished off 3 or 4 books a week. Now a days I haven't been able to sustain the concentration to read a book through beginning to end for at least the past 4 years. My neurologist suggested trying to read books I've read in the past, and it worked!

Catwoman 10-04-2004 10:51 AM

Just finished 'The Dice Man' and also trying to get through 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist' - worth reading? Some interesting points in The Dice Man, re personality and the construction of the 'self' - I do recommend it, although unfortunately as with any best-selling border-philosophical fiction it glamourises its rather valuable message to the point of ridicule. Shame.

lookout123 10-04-2004 10:58 AM

Tommy Franks - American Soldier. i would recommend it to others. there are a few "love me" parts in it, but overall a good read.

wolf 10-04-2004 11:01 AM

I'll just go right on ahead and assume you're not talking about a biography or autobiography of Andrew 'Dice' Clay ...

I just finished reading "Shaman" by Sandra Miesel.

Pretty solid fantasy novel, which had some interesting aspects to it, particularly the nanny-state society the main character lived in.

Wouldn't have picked it up on my own, but a coworker leant it to me. He had gotten it because he is doing a review on one of the author's other books, and wanted to get some of the flavor of her early work before starting.

Happy Monkey 10-04-2004 05:05 PM

I read Neil Gaiman's biography of Douglas Adams, so of course I had to reread the Hitchhiker's Guide. I'm currently up to book 4.

Cyber Wolf 10-04-2004 07:34 PM

I'm on my fourth Patricia Moyes book in a row. Love me some British mystery authors. Huzzah, Chief Superintendent Tibbett! :D

elSicomoro 10-04-2004 08:11 PM

Some John Grisham book...lemme go look and see what the title is...

"The Street Lawyer." I bought it at Lambert Airport in St. Louis last week to pass time...I've read about 2/3 of it, and it's great thus far.

cam2 10-04-2004 10:48 PM

"The Dark Tower" the last of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. I'm setting aside my entire Thursday afternoon to reading this book.

I'm also reading "Modern Systems Analysis and Design" You have to love college text books. :3eye: