The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Post Your Pet (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=10921)

Cloud 09-26-2010 12:45 PM

@ Nirvana: Born, and died in your hands. A long and happy life. Although very, very sad, no dog, or dog owner can ask for more than that. She will live in your memory forever.

@ MTP: Maybe a little more practice? ;)

Pico and ME 09-26-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 685078)
@

@ MTP: Maybe a little more practice? ;)

:eyebrow:

Really?

wow

Cloud 09-26-2010 03:17 PM

well, obviously I'm not a dog person, but I thought the dog was pretty reluctant to perform and might benefit from further practice. No offense meant!

morethanpretty 09-26-2010 05:00 PM

Dog training is continuous, both old tricks need to be reinforced and new ones introduced. This isn't just for a human's amusement, this is for the dog's mentality as well. They're smart and therefore need problems to figure out to help keep them from getting too bored, I also think it helps their self-esteem. Cats can, and probably should be trained for the same reasons IMHO, its just not a common thing for people to do like with dogs.
I was in no way trying to show that we have our tricks polished and perfect, I was just posting on her progress, which I am well pleased with.
She only hesitated on one of the rolls really and that was probably because I didn't do the hand gesture quite right and it confused her.

Cloud 09-26-2010 05:27 PM

you've got a beautiful little friend there; my comment really was not meant to be a criticism.

xoxoxoBruce 09-26-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morethanpretty (Post 685112)
She only hesitated on one of the rolls really and that was probably because I didn't do the hand gesture quite right and it confused her.

That's probably true, they're smarter than we are when it comes to nuance. :yesnod:

Cloud 10-09-2010 10:46 PM

Miles, who turned 6 this week. He's giving me that look like, "she's pointing that damn thing in my face again and I'm trying to sleep here!"

My other cat went missing in July. Every week I go to Petsmart and look at the cats to adopt. And every week I walk away, thinking--it's not right; not yet.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y10...b/0a5cc512.jpg

eta: I notice above I made a mistake when I said I'm not a cat person. I meant "dog person" duh.

morethanpretty 10-10-2010 07:24 AM

She's very beautiful Cloud.

Don't push yourself, 3 months is not all that long to mourn for a pet. Give yourself time and one day you'll meet another cat and know its the one. Have you looked into pet grief counseling? I know the Texas SPCA has a program.

Cloud 10-10-2010 09:45 AM

Thanks. The funny thing is, I have been talking to other residents of my apt complex, and not only have they lost cats, too . . . the cats on the property that are let outside have disappeared. We don't know if it's a mountain lion, a hoarder, or what. I'm on the point of mentioning it to the management.

"I'm a cat person." DUH!

xoxoxoBruce 10-10-2010 10:47 AM

Coyote? Chinese restaurant?

Cloud 10-10-2010 11:02 AM

Coyote is a possibility also. I try to keep them/him inside, but . . .

morethanpretty 10-10-2010 11:05 AM

We had an outside cat that got shot by a neighbor. Crawled back home and we found her in our carport. It was really really sad. My family has always had bad experiences with outside cats. Run away, killed and injured too often. Dogs can be fenced in, I would never feel comfortable letting my cat out loose and without supervision. My g-ma lets hers out on a leash in a fenced in yard. They can't get out and not too much that's harmful can get in.
TBH, I don't know why its acceptable for cats to run loose and not for dogs.

xoxoxoBruce 10-10-2010 11:13 AM

Awhile back, Aliantha posted pictures of a big cage they had, so the cats could get some fresh air and survey the yard, out of harm's way.

Cloud 10-10-2010 12:46 PM

My cats absolutely pine for the outside. I'd love to build a cat "run" that's easily accessible in and out, but I really can't do it in my apartment. I am considering a large standalone crate for exactly that purpose.

morethanpretty 10-10-2010 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloud (Post 687606)
My cats absolutely pine for the outside. I'd love to build a cat "run" that's easily accessible in and out, but I really can't do it in my apartment. I am considering a large standalone crate for exactly that purpose.

Leash-train them maybe? I've seen it done (ex: my gma's cats). Then maybe take 'em on long walks n such.