The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Nothingland (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   What's upsetting you today? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14114)

BigV 02-11-2008 11:34 AM

CF:

Timeout! Pls. I'm on another call here, but I *think* I can get you out of the Safemode ditch....

If you're interested, that is.

Clodfobble 02-11-2008 12:11 PM

Sure, any suggestions are welcome. Just keep in mind I'm not the one actually doing any of it, and generally don't know what the hell I'm talking about. :)

Tink 02-11-2008 05:16 PM

Piles of work. I miss Vegas already!

BigV 02-11-2008 05:17 PM

BlackBerry Service Disrupted Across North America.

Now at last I have something to do in my copious free time.

**groan**

Aliantha 02-11-2008 05:25 PM

It's raining and I don't think they'll be delivering my new bookcase today.

BigV 02-11-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clodfobble (Post 431482)
Sure, any suggestions are welcome. Just keep in mind I'm not the one actually doing any of it, and generally don't know what the hell I'm talking about. :)

My day has been wall to wall grief.... sorry I haven't responded before this. Windows can be cranky when the default hard disk controller has changed. It may be that the configuration for the hard disk controller is still set up for the previous controller. It was probably integrated with the motherboard. Your goal (or Mr CF... whomever) will probably be to change it to the proper setting.

The setting is the same, but the controller was changed out from underneath the config (which is on the hard drive). The plan would be to use Device Manager, find the hd controller, then update the driver. **IF** it can find the actual controller, wonderful. Let it install that one.

If it can't, for whatever reason, then the idea would be to choose the GENERIC IDE CONTROLLER, then boot the system, hopefully in normal mode, not safe mode, then, in normal mode, try and update the driver again.

That you can boot in safemode is a very promising sign, and you should be able to recover from there. I'd be happy to help further, if this isn't enough.

Clodfobble 02-11-2008 08:57 PM

Thanks, V. Mr. Clod's been in front of it all day, fortunately making progress. As it turns out, the problem ultimately seems to have been just with the boot drive, as he was able to boot into an existing Windows install on a different drive with both motherboards without a problem. At this point, all the pertinent data has been recovered over to the replacement drive, everything's running happily, and the old drive is just going to be trash--he did make an attempt to format it, but it started spewing errors and he decided he didn't need a piddly old 30-gig SCSI drive anyhow. :)

Bullitt 02-11-2008 09:54 PM

[truestory]
I found my razor after it had been missing for a few days.. minus the head and with a dead battery (it's the vibrating kind.. remember that)
I found it in the basement
It was a little wet
And kinda smelly

A female lives in our basement.....
[/truestory]

I'm buying a new one tomorrow after work :rolleyes: :yelsick:

DucksNuts 02-11-2008 10:32 PM

Umm

Eww

but I have *heard* they work a treat.

xoxoxoBruce 02-12-2008 09:36 AM

1- Hide your new razor.
2- Offer your services to the cellar dwellar.

Order is optional.

Happy Monkey 02-12-2008 09:56 PM

I just smashed up the front of my car. :(

Aliantha 02-12-2008 10:46 PM

Well I'm glad to see you're well enough after that to still post here HM. Sorry about your car though. Do you have insurance?

glatt 02-13-2008 08:20 AM

Sorry to hear that, HM. Last night was fucking treacherous in DC. I saw a pedestrian being strapped to a back board after falling on the ice just a block outside the metro station. I almost fell about a half dozen times myself on the walk home from the metro, and I had to divert my normal route home to avoid a few dangerous street crossings where cars had virtually no control over themselves.

I'm assuming it was the ice that got you as well.

Happy Monkey 02-13-2008 09:57 AM

Not directly. I had just scraped off my car, and went from a standstill directly into a lamppost. I'm not certain why I didn't see it, probably the light from the lamp was illuminating the water streaks from the wipers, and the post itself blended into the night. If the weather hadn't been bad, it probably wouldn't have happened, but I didn't slip on the ice or anything like that.

BigV 02-13-2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullitt (Post 431698)
[truestory]
I found my razor after it had been missing for a few days.. minus the head and with a dead battery (it's the vibrating kind.. remember that)
I found it in the basement
It was a little wet
And kinda smelly

A female lives in our basement.....
[/truestory]

I'm buying a new one tomorrow after work :rolleyes: :yelsick:

Err.... didn't you R-U-N-N-O-F-T to join the smokejumpers or something like that? You shaved your head to reduce your personal cranial fireload, etc? I feel confuseled.

Oh, your razor? ugh.