The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Quality Images and Videos (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   What is this? (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=14695)

HungLikeJesus 09-16-2008 01:06 PM

Something in amber.

classicman 09-16-2008 01:10 PM

Alien larvae

glatt 09-16-2008 01:27 PM

OK, it's the leftovers from a crock pot roast that you dumped out of the tupperware container and into your hand. And it's mostly that congealed gel.

Bullitt 09-16-2008 01:42 PM

leaves frozen in ice

BigV 09-16-2008 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hehehe... good guesses. Really wrong though.

How about a clue? Here it is as I found it, before I picked it up.

classicman 09-16-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 484546)
Alien larvae

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 484560)
Hehehe... good guesses. Really wrong though.

Whew, never been so glad to be wrong.

glatt 09-16-2008 02:40 PM

dead jellyfish

Chocolatl 09-16-2008 02:40 PM

Tree sap?

HungLikeJesus 09-16-2008 02:42 PM

It's the Blob. Please store in freezer.

BigV 09-16-2008 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 484590)
dead jellyfish

Jesus, glatt, you're out of shape. Two hours and forty minutes?! wtf?

This (these?) is (are?) the remains of a large Lion's Mane jellyfish I found on the beach at low tide while camping this weekend. It didn't smell strongly of anything, only slightly of seawater. It was quite heavy, a couple of pounds, easy. It held together solidly, like a big clear steak. But not this big. :eek::eek:

glatt 09-16-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 484594)
Jesus, glatt, you're out of shape. Two hours and forty minutes?! wtf?

I need more practice.

BigV 09-16-2008 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, here you go.

What is this?

Flint 09-16-2008 03:47 PM

It shoots pressurized air through that nozzle, into something that is latched down, until you release the mechanism by pulling that rope. It launches...something.

glatt 09-16-2008 03:54 PM

aw no fair Flint, you beat me to it.

It's a toy rocket launcher.

Flint 09-16-2008 03:58 PM

I was just guessing. But, cool! I want one.

Did I ever tell you guys about my acetylene torch powered PVC potato gun?

classicman 09-16-2008 03:58 PM

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiitt I knew that one too.

BigV 09-16-2008 03:58 PM

You're right!

It's a water rocket launcher. Fill a one liter plastic water bottle halfway, put the cork in the mouth of the bottle and lower it onto the latches. The red hose is connected to a bicycle pump. Pump it up to about 80 - 100 psi, then pull the string which releases the locking arms. Whooooooosh! My rocket sucked. Nobody likes an acrobatic rocket, but you do make the highlight reel. The best perfoming rocket had a hang time of about twelve seconds.

classicman 09-16-2008 03:59 PM

Its like one of those small red rockets kids used to play with way back when. Do they still make them?

BigV 09-16-2008 04:03 PM

Like these...

classicman 09-16-2008 09:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the one - what a blast I had as a kid with my friends shooting them at each other.

Clodfobble 09-16-2008 10:33 PM

Man, maybe my mind is in the gutter but I would never have guessed that thing on the bottom is supposed to be a kids' toy...

BigV 09-17-2008 04:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What is this?

TheMercenary 09-17-2008 07:44 PM

A light.

footfootfoot 09-17-2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 484603)
I was just guessing. But, cool! I want one.

Did I ever tell you guys about my acetylene torch powered PVC potato gun?

I've read about an oxy acetylene potato gun that shot a potato from 50 feet through a 1/2 sheet of CDX.

spudcon 09-18-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 484857)
What is this?

Reflection of camera flash in Dracula's bloody eyeball.

glatt 09-18-2008 07:51 AM

a light source reflected in stretched red latex.

Flint 09-18-2008 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by footfootfoot (Post 484948)
I've read about an oxy acetylene potato gun that shot a potato from 50 feet through a 1/2 sheet of CDX.

Nah, this wasn't oxygenated, just a regular copper-sweating tank. We were afraid to do anything but shoot it straight up in the air--didn't want to kill anybody!

@BigV: You've pitched a tent inside the house.

Nirvana 09-18-2008 11:04 AM

That is under the water in a pool shooting the sun.

Nirvana 09-18-2008 11:16 AM

What is this?

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...r/whatisit.jpg

glatt 09-18-2008 11:21 AM

a bead

Nirvana 09-18-2008 11:23 AM

be specific please :)

glatt 09-18-2008 11:58 AM

a pretty bead?

LabRat 09-18-2008 12:04 PM

a ceramic bead?

big V- the sun reflected in/on ???

beauregaardhooligan 09-18-2008 12:13 PM

Wampum?

barefoot serpent 09-18-2008 12:24 PM

a pretty ceramic anal bead?

Flint 09-18-2008 12:29 PM

A Cardassian gonad?

Nirvana 09-18-2008 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 485099)
A Cardassian gonad?

Close ! Well not really! ;) It is a 500 year old 3 eyed Tibetan Dzi {Zee} bead.

classicman 09-18-2008 02:46 PM

tokestone - if its not, it should be. Pbbbllllt!

dar512 09-18-2008 02:54 PM

eh! If you've seen one 500 year old 3 eyed Tibetan Dzi {Zee} bead, you've seen 'em all.

Nirvana 09-18-2008 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dar512 (Post 485129)
eh! If you've seen one 500 year old 3 eyed Tibetan Dzi {Zee} bead, you've seen 'em all.

:right:

Nirvana 09-18-2008 04:22 PM

dZi beads of the Himalayas

The most desirable of all beads in Tibet and the Himalayan regions is the dZi (GZi, Ghzi, Zi, Tzi) stone. DZi (pronounced zee or in some regions zur) is the Tibetan word for this most unusual decorated bead. The word Dzi translates as 'brightly burnished', 'luminous' or 'splendor' and ancient beads readily command thousands of dollars in the marketplace. Some original beads are thought to be thousands of years old and are now extremely rare. These ancient beads have a rich history in Tibetan folklore and Himalayan legend. The Tibetan people believe that only a person with extremely good 'karma' will have the fortune of owning such a bead. Some Tibetans say they originated around 3000 BCE which would make some beads 5000 years old, however, it is unclear as to the exact place of origin, their time of manufacture, or even how long they have been in existence. The earliest known records of Dzi are thought to date back to the time of King Gesar of Ling. It is widely believed that he reigned a little over 1000 years ago between the 7th and 9th Centuries CE. However, some historians say he could have lived even earlier (4th Century CE). The fact that they are shrouded in so much mystery is perhaps why they have become one of the most valuable beads known to man.
Are they a gift from the realm of the Gods, or are they Man-made?

There are many myths and legends that follow Dzi. Probably the main Himalayan belief is that they are not of earthly origin. Some say that they are dropped from the heavens by Gods to benefit those who have the good karma to find them. Because Dzi are thought to have divine origin, they are considered to be a precious and powerful amulet. Dzi stones can often be seen in Tibetan Monasteries adorning the most revered statues and sacred relics. You will also see them worn throughout the Himalayan regions. They are thought to bring good luck, ward off evil, and protect the wearer from physical harm and illness. It has even been claimed by Tibetan refugees that they protect the wearer from knife and bullet attacks!

Another belief is that they are the precious droppings of the 'Garuda'. These droppings fall to the ground when he flies through the sky. The Garuda has special importance in the tantric teachings of Tibetan Buddhism where he is sometimes seen as a manifestation of Guru Rinpoche. In the Hindu legends, the Garuda is seen as the steed of Vishnu and is recognized throughout the Himalayas. One story doing the rounds on the net is that a Taiwanese businessman escaped from a plane crash where there were only two survivors. He claimed that this was thanks to the Dzi he had recently purchased for protection. As a result of this story hitting the media, Dzi stones in Taiwan have become extremely sought after. Taiwan is also the place where most 'new' Dzi are being made.

In the practice of Tibetan Medicine powdered Dzi stone is mixed with ground gold, silver and pearl to produce medicinal pills (Tib: ril bu) with potent healing properties. Dzi are sometimes used by Tibetan Thangka painters to apply gold leaf to important paintings. It is also said that those who own a pure dZi will receive blessings directly from the Dragon King Nagarijun. Protection from illness and disease is therefore bestowed. A pure Dzi may also bring longevity, fortune, wealth and power. Tibetan people do not readily part with their Dzi. In fact it is not considered favorable to sell a dZi that has been in the family for generations. This is another reason that authentic Dzi are so scarce.

Each bead is unique in its appearance. Physical evidence shows that beads were decorated with chemical treatments and not etched as previously believed. This practice has been used since at least 2500 BCE. It is believed that agate was made darker by soaking it in a sugar rich solution and then heated, this process will caramelize the sugar and turn the agate brown. Acid treatments will burn the sugar until it turns the bead black. The majority of ancient agate beads have had some kind of treatment, even natural looking beads may have been darkened.

When purchasing a Dzi it is the intricate and unique designs that are valued greater. They command high prices and are difficult to come by. Some universally recognized patterns are zig zags, diamonds, nets, circles, squares, waves, and stripes. Colors will mainly range from browns to blacks with the pattern usually being in ivory white. Having said this, Dzi beads can appear in different colors, shapes and sizes. The most valuable of all beads is thought to be the Nine-Eyed or 13 Eyed Dzi. Generally beads that have 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 or 13 eyes are the most sought after. Next, it is Dzi that have unusual designs, inclusions and colors. Following these are beads that display an even number of eyes. Two Eyed Dzi appear to be more available in the marketplace than other designs, so they are priced lower. Then we have striped Dzi called Chung, the tabular Dzi called Luk Mik and other Dzi known as Tasso (Horse Tooth) and Tiger Dzi that are prized and collected. Lastly we have the natural ancient agates that were traded from Southern and Western Asia. Some Tibetans also name the more common natural agates as Chung Dzi. This is because they are made from the same material as authentic Dzi So they have become and are known as a lesser quality Dzi. However, Tibetans do not value natural agates in the same way as genuine eyed beads and authentic striped Chung Dzi, so natural agates are very much seen as their own distinct type of collectible bead.

Why are people prepared to pay so much money for a stone bead?

Well the same thought can be applied to rare diamonds, other rare gems or collectible treasures. In the Himalayas, Dzi are never thought of as just beads. They are seen as the rarest of precious gems that have the power to protect and bestow immense spiritual blessing. Dzi beads have been purchased, traded and even found by generations of Tibetans and Himalayan peoples. Apparently a good place to find a Dzi was near to a rock pool or hot spring. Some legends state that Dzi beads were once insect type creatures that crawled like worms. The moment they were touched by human hands they would be petrified and turned into Dzi. Tibetans even claim that their cattle would mistakenly eat this creature whilst grazing and would soon give birth to a Dzi!!

There is a story that tells of a man who once saw one of these crawling creatures. He threw his hat over it in an attempt to catch it. When he removed the hat, the insect had miraculously turned into a beautiful Dzi. Another legend tells us that the Dzi originated from a sacred mountain in Tibet. In ancient times, a stream was said to flow down its slopes. One day an evil sorcerer cast a spell upon the mountain and the flow immediately stopped. Today, a wealth of designs are seen on some Dzi beads, like a mountain and stream frozen in place. Many designs are said to predate Buddhism and they speak of a time when Tibetans were deeply connected to the natural environment. Designs are often compared to natural elements like the water, earth and sky and some beads display characteristics of animals both mythical and real -- like the dragon or tiger.

Razzmatazz13 09-18-2008 05:27 PM

BigV - the light reflected off the surface of a bowling ball?

glatt 09-19-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigV (Post 484857)
What is this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMercenary (Post 484909)
A light.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spudcon (Post 485004)
Reflection of camera flash in Dracula's bloody eyeball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 485044)
a light source reflected in stretched red latex.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 485062)
@BigV: You've pitched a tent inside the house.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nirvana (Post 485083)
That is under the water in a pool shooting the sun.

*clears throat and taps foot*

Shawnee123 09-19-2008 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This? (Classic made me remember this thing.)

classicman 09-19-2008 03:35 PM

huh? How the heck did I remind you of that?

Shawnee123 09-19-2008 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicman (Post 484676)
This is the one - what a blast I had as a kid with my friends shooting them at each other.

Dude? Old toys?

BigV 09-19-2008 03:39 PM

Merlin and the bead kinda look like each other.... ish.

Shawnee123 09-19-2008 03:39 PM

:lol2:

You're funny!

classicman 09-19-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawnee123 (Post 485418)
Dude? Old toys?

that was along time ago - Geez I was only a kid then!

Flint 09-25-2008 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From imager.cc ... WTF is going on here?

footfootfoot 09-25-2008 07:10 PM

home made rear screen projection

HungLikeJesus 09-25-2008 07:14 PM

Bad ergonomics.

glatt 09-26-2008 08:39 AM

looks like three monitors, from the holes cut in the table. I knew you could connect two monitors to a pc, but didn't know about three.

zippyt 09-26-2008 09:06 AM

Multi Graphics cards

Flint 09-26-2008 10:02 AM

Yes, yes, I get all that, I work on PACS systems that have three or four monitors; what I'm curious about is how the projection system works.

glatt 09-26-2008 10:13 AM

Well, the screen has curvature, so it's most likely made of a thin sheet of plexiglass from a hardware store. Something like tissue paper is on the back of the screen to be a surface that the image will focus upon.

Under the table are projectors that are bounced against the mirrows and onto the screen. Alignment of the three projectors into one seamless image seems like it would be a huge challenge, but they did a really good job.

With the mirrors as part of the optic system, the projectors would need to be set up to project a reverse image.

Flint 09-26-2008 10:20 AM

Cool.

LabRat 09-26-2008 10:48 AM

OMG. My dad had a MERLIN. I used to get in trouble for leaving it on. It kicked ass.

Shawnee123 09-26-2008 10:51 AM

lol...I thought I was some technical goddess with that thing! I LOVED it.

glatt 02-23-2009 08:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
What is this? I took this picture one week ago.