The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   President-elect Trump (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=32294)

classicman 01-21-2017 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glatt (Post 979887)
Trump team just didn't understand how things work and they are focused on other stuff.

It apears to me that Trumps team cares very little for how things WERE done. Thats an important distinction to note. They seem very unconcerned with doing the same way as its always been - in fact they are IMO intentionally NOT doing that as much as possible.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 979897)
being unable to name the current secys of all departments except state, i think i shall misplace my box of fucks again.

... Bingo! 90+% of these people freaking out and/or wailing in the streets most likely couldn't name one of them either.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheldonrs (Post 980012)
Putting it simply, I hope Trump and Pence die soon and I don't care how.
And if you're not part of one or more of the groups that Trump has already spoken negatively about, shut the fuck up about what you think of my statement.

Fuck you, Sheldon. Piss and bitch all you want. I'll do the same. Been hoping for a chance to interact with you again. Seems you disappeared from basefook. After all these years I thought we were able to bridge the gap and still be adults, discuss our differences and remain civil. Guess I was mistaken.

xoxoxoBruce 01-21-2017 01:37 PM

I'm not happy Trump was elected and I'm worried about what he'll do. That said, I'll wait for him to fuck up(in my opinion) before I complain.

Pico and ME 01-21-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanaC (Post 980121)
I think there's a lot of truth to that.

I thought we already did that with Bush's re-election in 2004.

DanaC 01-21-2017 02:40 PM

And you'll do it again after the Donald's successor ends his/her run and another lunatic protest vote wins out.

It's cyclical.

Pico and ME 01-21-2017 04:04 PM

Its making me cynical.

lumberjim 01-21-2017 04:48 PM

I saw a funny video of an interviewer asking people why they were protesting. They had a hard time putting into words why they were so outraged. One guy blurted, he's got too much money!

I know they only showed the people that didn't know why they were there, but still.

Pico and ME 01-21-2017 05:41 PM

The protest marches today? They all knew. And there were many, many, hundreds of thousands, all told.

http://commondreams.org/news/2017/01...-better-future

EDITED TO ADD : Some estimates are more than 2,500,000 all throughout.

xoxoxoBruce 01-21-2017 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pico and ME (Post 980155)
Its making me cynical.

Cyclically cynical, every four years. ;)

sexobon 01-21-2017 08:51 PM

Is this going to be like The Logical Song?

Flint 01-25-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 980101)
The stem is challenged by the wind and it grows firmer.

Always optimistic Tony.
The reed in the wind is a useful metaphor.

Neil Peart tells it like this:

Quote:

Like a solitary pine
On a bare wind-blasted shore
We can only grow the way the wind blows

Rush, Snakes & Arrows, "The Way The Wind Blows"

Quote:

On a bare and weathered shore
We can only bow to the here and now
In our elemental war

We can only bow to the here and now
Or be broken down blow by blow

And like this:

Quote:

Like a forest bows to winter
Beneath the deep white silence
I will quietly resist

Like a flower in the desert
That only blooms at night
I will quietly resist

Rush, Snakes & Arrows, Faithless

Undertoad 02-06-2017 07:49 AM

Quote:

they intend to steer NASA away from "politicized science".

That's excellent, I hope they are effective at it.
To wit, NOAA should not entirely cook a data set to "erase" the "pause" in advance of the Paris climate talks, and then (ironically, for this thread) lose the most important data in it so that it can't be recreated.

But it appears this has happened.

Happy Monkey 02-06-2017 01:13 PM

Or not. The data are available, but they weren't archived using the process he designed. He may very well have valid complaints on inadequacies in the the data archiving process or its implementation, as that is his expertise (though for some unstated reason he repeatedly complains that ASCII tables on an FTP site aren't "digital" or "machine-readable"), but there's no evidence for his claims that the study was rushed or the data corrupted.

I can certainly sympathize with his frustration over producing an archiving regimen that isn't followed. I think that's a common issue on any large organization.

glatt 02-06-2017 01:18 PM

Yeah. All my important stuff is on either the C drive if I don't really care if anyone else sees it, or the R drive if my boss told me to put it on the network.

I don't use the official file maintenance system. It's a pain.

Mountain Mule 02-06-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Undertoad (Post 981473)
To wit, NOAA should not entirely cook a data set to "erase" the "pause" in advance of the Paris climate talks, and then (ironically, for this thread) lose the most important data in it so that it can't be recreated.

But it appears this has happened.

Maybe. Maybe not. According to The Real Truth Project:

Quote:

Judith Curry is co-founder and co-head of a consulting company reported to make ($1-5 million yearly), Climate Forecast Applications Network (CFAN) whose "innovative OmniCast(TM) suite of weather and climate forecast products for the energy sector incorporates the latest research in weather and climate dynamics...". OmniCast(TM) was "developed by CFAN in response to the needs of a major client in the petroleum industry for extended range, better-than-market weather forecasts to support energy trading, sales and marketing."

Omnipage(TM) is accessible from the "Solutions" tab on all or nearly all pages of the web site; it is the only thing there for which there is a PDF brochure (very nicely designed), and the only CFAN trademark that I saw; it also appears to have been introduced about the same time the company was founded, all of which suggests it is not a small part of their business. The quote above seems designed to catch the eye of potential clients in the petroleum industry.
:eyebrow:

Pay me 1.5 million/year, and I might be tempted to claim that the earth is flat if that's what my benefactors wanted to hear.

Gravdigr 02-06-2017 02:53 PM

I know that the Earth is not flat.

I live at the bottom of a hill.