The Cellar

The Cellar (http://cellar.org/index.php)
-   Philosophy (http://cellar.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   personhood (http://cellar.org/showthread.php?t=34602)

Flint 10-15-2019 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by henry quirk (Post 1039957)
"Can you think without words? Intuitively."

I think some dogs I've known have done it exactly that way. Might not be possible for us: we're symbol-makers and -assigners, signifiers of the world, semiotic beings.

My ex-wife was raised in a household that spoke Brazilian, Spanish, and a little German, but spent a lot of time next door where they spoke mainly French and a little Hindi. Her first words were in French, she's fluent in Spanish, and is a native English speaker who has always lived in the United States.

According to her, she doesn't think in words. Especially-- NOT English, her native (spoken) language.

lumberjim 10-15-2019 12:47 PM

Emotion is the physical chemical reaction we have that is caused by thoughts we think.

The non verbal thought I was pointing to is more of a leap we make mentally that just clicks. Then we go back and verify the accuracy.

I do it all the time. Like we have 2 thinking sources. It's all very scientific.

Flint 10-15-2019 01:25 PM

The drummer Jojo Mayer talks about the mental micro-space where we’ve already done a thing and we’re now reacting to something that wasn’t intentional. He calls it “the space between zero and one” and it’s the most accurate description of the “source” of creativity that I’ve ever heard. If you have 20 minutes, it’s a really good TED Talk.

What does science say?

There are imaging studies that show the parts of our brain involved with intending to do a thing activation AFTER the part of our brain that does the thing. We intend it because we already did it. Counterintuitive, right?

lumberjim 10-15-2019 04:16 PM

That was neat.

Flint 10-15-2019 04:42 PM

Cool, thanks for watching. This guy, I don't know if it's apparent from this video, is one of the most technically advanced drummers, like ever. He's developed a bunch of techniques to, apparently, manipulate physics.

Like "push/pull" --getting a note going both ways.

lumberjim 10-15-2019 05:13 PM

I'm gonna check out Nerve

henry quirk 10-15-2019 06:36 PM

"According to her, she doesn't think in words. Especially-- NOT English, her native (spoken) language."

As I consider it: it's probably more accurate to say thnkin' is done by way of assigning (then recognizing) symbols/placeholders and accessing a shifting cloud of associated symbols/placeholders.

##

"Emotion is the physical chemical reaction we have that is caused by thoughts we think."

I think feeling (reaction) precedes thinking (consideration and response).

#

"The non verbal thought I was pointing to is more of a leap we make mentally that just clicks. Then we go back and verify the accuracy."

Intuition: what your gut tells you.

#

"I do it all the time."

Me too.

#

"Like we have 2 thinking sources."

Just a different way of processing information.

#

"It's all very scientific."

Mebbe so.

##

"There are imaging studies that show the parts of our brain involved with intending to do a thing activation AFTER the part of our brain that does the thing. We intend it because we already did it. Counterintuitive, right?"

Libet.

https://mindmatters.ai/2019/09/was-f...just-debunked/

lumberjim 10-15-2019 07:03 PM

Emotion results from thoughts. Some thoughts result from mood (or pain body).

Like, if you're horny, you think about sex. But if you just decide to think about sex, it might make you horny. Might not.

Goes both ways. Like Flint.

henry quirk 10-15-2019 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumberjim (Post 1039979)
Goes both ways. Like Flint.

:vomit:

Griff 10-16-2019 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 1039961)
The drummer Jojo Mayer talks about the mental micro-space where we’ve already done a thing and we’re now reacting to something that wasn’t intentional. He calls it “the space between zero and one” and it’s the most accurate description of the “source” of creativity that I’ve ever heard. If you have 20 minutes, it’s a really good TED Talk.

What does science say?

There are imaging studies that show the parts of our brain involved with intending to do a thing activation AFTER the part of our brain that does the thing. We intend it because we already did it. Counterintuitive, right?

Mind.... blown....

Flint 03-13-2020 09:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, large parts of what I've always said about the subject I was obsessing on in this thread was just presented back to me by the benevolent AI algorithms at Hulu, in the form of a monologue by Nick Offerman in the first episode of Devs

xoxoxoBruce 03-14-2020 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Human's describe themselves, "sumthin’ more than bio-automation, not only organic machinery."

Flint 04-20-2020 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 1048431)
So, large parts of what I've always said about the subject I was obsessing on in this thread was just presented back to me by the benevolent AI algorithms at Hulu, in the form of a monologue by Nick Offerman in the first episode of Devs

Again, anybody who was on this thread, or interested in nerd sh!t, go watch Devs. I just finished it, there's only 8 episodes, but it's a wild ride.

Griff 04-20-2020 07:59 PM

In